It’s soccer time for Annandale Boys and Girls Club Soccer players and coaches! Save the date and join us for our spring clinics at Mason District Park. This is a great day for all our young recreational soccer players to come and learn some soccer.
Saturday, April 7th
2:00 – 3:00pm Mitey Mites & Kindergarten
3:00pm – 4:00pm First & Second Grades
4:00pm – 5:00pm Third & Fourth Grades
Wear your ABGC jersey or a white t-shirt, soccer or tennis shoes and be sure to bring your water and a soccer ball (marked with your name).
See you on the soccer field!
Former Jeb Stuart soccer standout and Boston University’s, Anna Heilferty, will join the U-19 USA National team. Anna was the Patriot League Rookie of the Year her first season at Boston University.
She’s from Falls Church and was a four-year letter winner at Jeb Stuart, four-time all-conference and three-time Capitol Conference Player of the Year, 2016 Washington Post First Team All-Met and Player of the Year.
There is always a lot happening at the Annandale Boys & Girls Club so we wanted to catch you up on some of this month’s highlights.
Annandale U-18 Boys Win Soccer State Championship
The AUFC U-18 boys won the U.S. Club State Championship 2-0 last weekend. They now advance to the U.S. Club Regionals in Massachusetts in July.
ABGC Honors 2017 Football Player of the Year
Adhil is an A/B student at Holmes Middle School and has played football with the Annandale Boys & Girls Club since the age of 8. He is a leader who rushed for 620 yards and threw 5 passes for 130 yards along with 10 solo tackles. Effort is something you can’t coach, either you have it or you don’t, Adhil has it all, brains, size, and the attitude to compete anywhere.
Adhil was voted captain of his team by his teammates and also volunteers at the library reading to younger students and raising funds. Adhil is a student mentor at Parklawn Elementary School and plays on the advanced band at Holmes Middle School. We look forward to watching him develop into a versatile and fearsome football player in the years to come.
National Soccer Team and ABGC Alum
Anna Heilferty has been invited to the USA Under-20 National Team camp at the end of February. Anna was the Patriot League Rookie of the Year at Boston University.
Ready for Lacrosse Season?
Registration is now open for Annandale Youth Lacrosse for boys’ and girls’ lacrosse teams.
Join us this weekend for the Annandale Boys & Girls Club’s Summer Soccer Festival. ABGC players from Mighty Mites through 2nd grade will enjoy a fun day of soccer games, skill stations and prizes. Every player receives a goody bag and a Soccer Festival medal. It’s a terrific day for players and families to get together and enjoy some time on the turf.
You don’t have to come with your entire team. Individual players are invited to join us to come play. Bring a friend and double the fun.
The event starts at 9:30a with the Mighty Mites playing first followed by Kindergarten, 1st grade girls, 1st grade boys, 2nd grade girls and 2nd grade boys. The event ends at 7:30pm
If you have any questions contact us at 703-941-(ABGC) 2242 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
MM-Grade 4 Soccer – Fall Season Team Selection and Start Dates
Team Selection: the commissioners are currently putting players onto teams using the information provided during registration. The coaches will meet to finalize the teams by September 3.
Coach Notification: coaches will start notifying players after September 3 and should contact the players by Sept. 8th. If parents have not heard by then, they can call the ABGC office at 703-941-2242 for assistance.
Game Start Date: September 13, 2014
U11-19 Soccer – Fall Season Team Selection and Start Dates
Team Selection: the commissioners are currently putting players onto teams using the information provided during registration.
Coach Notification: coaches should notify the players within a week of registration. If parents have not heard by then, they can email Helen Crum at email@example.com for assistance.
Game Start Date: September 6, 2014 – players must be registered before this date.
Reminder: Info for New Registrants
Since September 16, 2013, when members type in to http://www.abgc.org, they are now sent to a new website with a new look, but the same capabilities. Everything that was on the old site is on the new site. You may find the navigation is easier and quicker – two clicks will get you to most of what you need on the site.
There are three items you need to take note of:
- The first difference is a one-time setup that each parent will need to do. This will take about 10 minutes, insuring that the next time you register the process will go quicker. (It was not possible to migrate all of the signon id’s and passwords from the previous website service to the new one.)
- The second difference is in the pricing side of registration. Everyone will sign up as a player in the sport at the end of the registration process. Prior to that there will be a series of “yes” or “no” questions that will either create a discount or a fee. All you have to do is answer the question. For example, one of the questions is “Are you a first time player in this sport?” If your child is, they you answer “yes” and the fee will be reduced. Another question is “Are you a Fairfax County resident?” Most families are, but if not, answer “no” and a $15.00 field use fee will be added (all of the fee goes to the County).
- The final comment on the website is that we have added a drop-down tab labelled “New, Start Here!” right at the top. Underneath you can find links to club information, documents & forms, registration, registration instructions, and field locations. If you run into problems you can call the office at 703-941-ABGC (2242) or email our webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We know, we know…you don’t want summer to end but school is around the corner and so is the start of all of ABGC’s fall programs. Registration is open so sign up TODAY before it’s too late for:
- Field Hockey
- Recreation Soccer Pre-K to Grade 4
- Recreation Soccer U11-19
- Top Soccer (for children with disabilities)
The ABGC Summer programs are all set to start.
- The Atlantic Soccer Camp overnight weeklong intense soccer development camp will be offered for the 32nd year in a row!
- Unfortunately, we are not able to offer the June Day Camp this year.
Did you Know??
ABGC is redoing the Holmes Middle School back field, converting it to Bermuda grass and it will be available in September, 2014. Just another way ABGC is proud to work with our community schools on behalf of our players and families!
ABGC U14 Premier 99 Girls, coached by Gus Donolo, won the state cup beating out a competitive field of 27 teams.
Great job team!
ABGC was well represented in last week’s men’s soccer USA vs Mexico game. The U.S. Men’s National team drew with old archrival Mexico 2-2 in last week’s play.
Former ABGC players Clarence Goodson played 31 Minutes in that game and Bill Hamid was one of the goalies for the team.
Jill Ellis has also been named the interim coach for the US Women’s Soccer team. She played for the Annandale Boys & Girls Club Senior Wildfires team.
– The basketball fee includes clinics for 5-12 year olds.
– The ONLINE registration fee of $41 ($46 signup at the office) is only for First Time players with the ABGC.
– Teams are formed with a neighborhood concept by grade level.
– The basketball season is from December 2013 thru March 2014.
– Teams are formed in December, then players are notified of practice times by the coaches.
– The schedules will also be created and distributed once the teams are formed.
The ABGC has a scholarship program for players who are:
– Fairfax County Residents and Qualify for “Free or Reduced Lunch”
– Parents will need to bring the paperwork into the main office at 4216 Annandale Rd., Annandale, VA to register. – The office personnel will register the players and the cost is $20/player.
– Online registration is not available for this program.
- For Youth Grades Kindergarten to Grade 5
- All games are played on Saturday and Sunday
- Indoor soccer will run from the middle of January to early March. (8 weeks).
- All indoor soccer is held at the ABGC Sports Center